Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Guest Blog: Nicki Adams

In order to preface this entry, I should add a few things:
1) In this photo, Nicki & I inspired many people in Botswana to revisit the 80s. 
2) I'm really looking forward to my vegan meal from Nicki. 
3) Enjoy...


I’m not a blogger.  In fact, I read my first blog when Miller started the whole shenanigans (and then I spent ½ a day reading every blog I could click on).  She’s like that-getting into shit.  It keeps us all on our toes. 
Speaking of Miller shenanigans…”vegan curious”?  Now, normally if someone I know is vegan/vegetarian/gluten free or whatever the guts determine is best for his/her body, I’m cool with it.  Maybe even supportive.  But when Miller posts on Facebook that  she’s vegan curious, I had an irrationally strong reaction against it but I clearly was not alone!  I talked about it with my husband, friends and coworkers and most thought it to be a little strange that a wholesome Midwestern girl would quit all the good things in life (a hamburger, ice cream, pizza, cheese, etc- I mean, while you’re at why don’t you just quit PBR too, Miller?!) cold turkey but they also thought my strong anti-vegan-miller-campaign was weird. 
A few weeks into Amanda’s new adventure we had an iphone face to face chat where Amanda pulled out a gigantic soap box and proceeded to bombard my impressionable husband with vegan “facts.”  Shockingly, I stayed quiet.  I figured my best approach would be to play dead and it would eventually stop. It worked but I thought, shit- she’s in full force.  Is this what DC has done to my BFF?  I hope it doesn’t stick! 
So, why the hell do I care if Miller orders her burrito without cheese or a boca burger instead of a hamburger or skips dessert?  I shouldn’t and it doesn’t affect me, really.  But when I was trying to understand my own irrational response I decided that it just doesn’t fit her.  I mean, it’s like tailgating without beer; it’s like the packers playing in stilettos, it’s like …. I don’t know. 
In an effort to bring it all back to the blog theme, I’m going to change my tune about my BFF’s vegan curious lifestyle.  I’m going to extend a little kindness and make a vegan recipe when she comes to visit and I’m going to TRY to be nice about it. 

3 comments:

  1. Nickalicious! I understand your confusion...I have been vegan for over a year and am waiting to be exiled from the Midwest...maybe they will banish me to Jamaica where all the Rastafarians live...anyways, let me know if you need any cooking tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left Botswana and embarked on a seven month failed vegetarian journey... Thanksgiving at my brother's home did me in. Now I can't imagine giving up bacon, steak, and lamb again. But I can relate to the vegan curious desire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think bacon is going to turn Miller around. I'll cook her vegan meal and then make a banging non-vegan bacon and pancake breakfast!
    Shit, I'm supposed to be nice!
    T-bag, I can't believe you're still at this AND your parents still love you. so weird. xo :)
    Harmony- i get it too! The funny thing is that I hardly eat meat. I sound like a raging carnivore but most of the time I think I could go meat free (maybe not vegan). I guess it's the midwestern in me :)

    ReplyDelete