Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Kindness of Others

Since this is a blog entitled something about kindness, I thought it would be fitting to write about kindness once in a while. I can't think of anything better to write about than the kindness Tom and I experienced after having Violet. The comfort, the food, the hugs, the laughter, the tears...when I think back to when she was born, everything is sort of neatly packaged in a blanket of kindness that others bestowed upon us. (Plus this amazing little baby who has changed our lives forever.)

First and foremost, my mom. She came over right when Violet was born and intended to stay for a week to help out. But after she asked me if I was ready for her to leave, with tears streaming down my face, I shook my head no - she stayed for another whole week to make sure that I was fed and drank enough water/tea. I seriously don't think I would have eaten anything at all for the first two weeks if she hadn't been there. While I struggled with recovering from a c-section and struggled more with breastfeeding, everything seemed better when your mom makes you a cup of tea. I'm so very grateful she was there for me during this time, so that I could focus on taking care of this new little human that demanded my attention 100% of the time. Tom's mom also came over and helped out immensely by bringing food and watching Violet so I could catch a cat nap once in a while. My sister came over to help out and cleaned the bathroom for me! 
Gramma Jane and Violet

Also, there was everyone else. Nicki came over with arms full of stuff like nursing bras and casseroles, and suggestions and helpful hints about nursing and other stuff. She and Mina both helped me sustain Violet for the first few months of her life, and I'm forever grateful. There were lots of other visits and support from afar that meant so much, whether it was a text, Facetime, or a phone call. It was a weird time - so joyful and yet so hard. I knew how lucky we were to have Violet, and I struggled to be grateful in between the lack of sleep and the overtired tears. I was lucky to have the support that I needed to get past few the first few weeks.

And not to mention, this little nugget. People say they can't imagine their lives before kids, and now I know how true that is. Every piece of it is worth it. For that laughter when you tickle her belly, for the full-face smile that you get when you smile at her. There's really nothing like it. It sounds sappy, but it's true.
This little bugger is now 8 months old!

Side note: I'm not sure when it happened that we're not supposed to space twice after periods, but I'm having a really hard time with it. I just had to go through and delete spaces throughout this entire blog entry. I'm not sure, but I think this makes me old and incompatible with change.

No comments:

Post a Comment