Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day One

I've tried to start a blog before.  Whenever I do, it feels weird to be writing something that anyone and everyone could read.  So I'd get one post in and then forget about it.  Which, in retrospect, is probably weirder. 

This time around, I got stuck on the title of the blog.  It felt so defining-- like I had to decide exactly what I was going to write about.  What was my life theme?  Apparently I'm not sold that I have one.  So I'm bordering a smoldering crisis, 30 years old and still NO THEME?!  Or worse - too many themes to pick one. 

And then one day this week, I got on the DC metro like I do most mornings on my way to work.  Only this morning, I was wearing headphones, which I rarely do.  I'm sitting in my half-awake daze, listening to the Avett Brothers, when I feel someone tapping my shoulder and saying something I can't quite make out.  Then I feel her doing something to my head.  It's still pretty cold in DC, so I was wearing my hat.  I see the woman behind me rip into her purse and whip out a little square napkin.  She uses the napkin and does something on top of my head, and then she hands me the napkin.  "See, look?" 

And there is one of those little bugs with the 8 million legs half-squished in a little square napkin.  I smiled and said, "Oh, thanks!"  She smiles back at me and leans back into her seat. 

So there I am, sitting on the metro, holding that woman's napkin with the half-alive bug.  I smile to myself.  What a nice little kindness, I thought to myself.  That lady I didn't know didn't have to do that.  In fact, I'm certain that she was probably not the only person who noticed there was a bug on my head.  But, she was the only person who did something about it. 

I got out at my stop, Farragut North, and I dropped the napkin into the trash bin.  I made my way up the escalator. Still thinking about that little kindness.  And then I had a name for my blog.We could all use a little more of that in our lives, right? 

1 comment: